To achieve full feature compatibility on the GEN2 Hubs, your computer must support the following:
- Thunderbolt 3 or USB-C 3.2 Gen 2 (USB 3.1 Gen 1/3.2 Gen 1 will work but not at full speed)
- DisplayPort 1.4/HDMI 2.0 for 4K60Hz (DisplayPort 1.2/HDMI 1.4 is compatible but will only display at 4K30Hz).
- USB-C charging (if you want to charge a laptop/tablet with a USB-C charger)
What does this mean exactly?
For Windows computers, we recommend checking the handbook that comes with your computer or reach out to the manufacturer for exact specs. Different models can sometimes have different specs, by providing your serial number to the manufacturer, they can explain the full capabilities. Match up what the manufacturer says with the compatibility here.
For Mac computers, all Macs with USB-C will work with the Hub. The Apple devices that support 4K60Hz are:
- iPad Pro 11-inch (2018 and 2020)
- iPad Pro 12.9-inch (3rd & 4th Generation)
- MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2017 and later)
- MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2019 and later)
- iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017 and later)
- Mac (Retina 4K, 21.5-inch, 2017 and later)
- iMac Pro (2018)
The MacBook (non-Pro/Air) is only capable of USB 3.1 Gen 1, so it will not utilize the GEN2's 10Gbps speeds, as mentioned above.