You need a minimum 15W USB-C Power Delivery (PD) Power Adapter to properly power the HyperDrive 7.5W Wireless Charger USB-C Hub to perform high speed (>5W) wireless charging.
Without a minimum 15W USB-C PD Power Adapter, you will only get 5W wireless charging.
HyperDrive will still function as a USB-C hub when connected to a computer, regardless of whether you connect external USB-C power or not.
External USB-C power only determines the power delivered to wireless charging and power delivery to the connected USB-C computer which is summarized by the attached "HyperDrive Wireless Charger USB-C Hub Power Operation Matrix"
Please refer to the attached "HyperDrive Wireless Charger USB-C Hub Power Operation Matrix"
- Start from the leftmost column of the matrix and determine what kind of USB-C Power Adapter are you using. If you are not using a USB-C Power Delivery (PD) Power Adapter, then you will only get 5W wireless charging, indicated by an orange LED light on the HyperDrive which also correspond to the orange boxes in the matrix.
- Now look at the top row of the matrix. You will obviously need to connect the HyperDrive to the computer in order to use the HyperDrive as a USB-C hub. No external power adapter is required to use HyperDrive as a USB-C hub.
- Next, if you have connected USB-A devices drawing >500mA, wireless charging will only be at 5W (orange LED on HyperDrive and orange box on matrix).
- If none of the USB-A devices is drawing >500mA, you will get high speed wireless charging >5W (blue LED on HyperDrive and blue box on matrix).
- Now look at the bottom row of the matrix, obviously if HyperDrive is not powered by any external power or computer, it is turned off. If it is connected to the computer but without external power, the USB-C hub will work together with 5W wireless charging if no USB-A device is drawing >500mAh
- Lastly, looking at the rightmost column, the pass through power delivery to the connected computer is determined by the power of the external USB-C power adapter on the leftmost column.
Please sign in to leave a comment.